|Shelby Paulgaard shows the family fridge that was damaged beyond repair after lightning hit a rural house. Several other electrical devices were ruined inside the house. Story in this paper. ©Provost News Photo.
Appliances, Electronics in House Ruined by Lightning Strike
A communications tower was hit by lightning at Rod and Joanne Paulgaard’s residence north of Hayter on Thursday, August 11, ruining several electronic devices.
At approximately 4 p.m. a tower that was three feet from the house that housed their internet system, satellite device and CB radio was struck. The family heard a huge crash and Rod and daughter Shelby saw sparks on two sides of the house from the internet cable. They could also smell what appeared to be hot metal.
No one was hurt in the incident.
The lightning damaged their internet and satellite equipment, a television set, a DVD player, garage door opener, fridge, stove, freezer, phones and computer.
The appliances did not show any physical damage but no longer worked properly. An electrician was called to inspect the wiring but it does not have to be replaced. Pictures of their appliances were sent to their insurance adjustor and the items were all inspected by qualified people.
It is not known what it will cost to purchase new appliances.
Full story in August 24 edition of The Provost News.
Want to Subscribe to The Provost News? Click here.