Holmes Printing
Macklin Mirror
BOOK Bodybuilding
Model 8 Linotype
Internet Alberta


Archived Stories

Archived Stories

Provost News History


Classified Advertising

For The Record

Credit References

Provost Weather


Website Portfolio


One Country.
One Community.
One Day.

December 15, 2010
Grade 7 student Gavin Helboe plays his trombone during a Christmas concert held at Provost Public School gym on Thursday evening, December 9. The Junior High School band performed assorted selections that evening while other entertainment was also staged by elementary grade students for the crowd. ©Provost News Photo.
Sleeping Family Has Narrow Escape From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
‘You can’t smell it and it can kill you very quickly’
Two adults and their three daughters escaped potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning in their rural residence during the night on Saturday evening, November 13.

Carmen and Linaya Lessmeister who live 12 miles west of Provost and two miles north of Highway 13 on Range Road 42 spent the night in hospital after finally realizing that they were quietly being poisoned by the odourless and colourless gas that was being emitted inside their house.

Their 11 year old twins Casie and Hanna and seven year old Erinn who were in the basement escaped the effects of the gas.

Linaya told The Provost News that she and her husband Carmen had gone to bed around 10:30 p.m. and their daughters were all sleeping downstairs in the basement of the bungalow.

Carmen woke up at 11:30 p.m. to go to the bathroom and “all of a sudden I heard a big thunk waking me up . . . it sounded like he had completely collapsed. So I went into the washroom and he was on the floor. I didn’t know what had happened.”

But as Linaya was walking into the washroom to investigate she was starting to feel very light-headed and called to Carmen asking ‘what happened?’ and “he came to and he was kind of disoriented and said he didn’t know. He said he felt really light-headed and didn’t remember anything but falling to the floor. I helped him get up and as he was getting up I noticed a cut on his leg and scratch on his back.” Linaya thought “it looked like a bad scrape so I put Polysporin on it but then instantly I felt very nauseated, and had never felt like that before.” At that time they both thought that it was kind of odd that they were both light-headed and disoriented. After she also put medication on Carmen's back, he said he felt awful and wanted to go lay back down on the bed. Linaya was thinking the same thing: “I was feeling so sick I thought if I could just go lay back down I would feel so much better.” Carmen made it back to bed and then Linaya headed towards the bedroom—but she passed out, falling in the hallway. Her husband heard her collapse so started to come toward her to help, and she began to quickly regain consciousness. Carmen asked her ‘what is going on?’ and then recalls Linaya, “we kind of made eye contact and came to the same conclusion at same time, that we must have had some kind of noxious gas in the house. So Carmen went out the patio doors onto the deck and got some fresh air and I made it into the bedroom and got the window open for fresh air.” They felt better fairly quickly and began opening windows in the house. “Our very next thought was to check on our daughters” fearful of the poison reaching them. The girls were woken up and they were very coherent and wondering what was going on.
The three girls were confused but because the parents did not want to frighten them, they were simply told they (the parents) were a little worried with something in the house. The girls were bundled up and taken to Linaya’s parents, Doris and Albey McNalley’s house a quarter of a mile away where they were put to bed.

A telephone call was made to Health Link Alberta (a 24 hour a day nurse advice and health information service) and were told it appeared the problem was carbon monoxide. The pair thought it would be faster to be driven to the hospital in Provost to get checked over instead of waiting for an ambulance.

Complete story and photos in December 15 edition of The Provost News.
Want to Subscribe to The Provost News? Click here.

4-H Group Busy
By Shania Scammell
The Stainsleigh 4-H Club started again in October with a general meeting.

The Stainsleigh 4-H Club has lots of new members and two new projects for the club.

The beef project has had a meeting and when they got together they determined the new leader, Charlene Hager. The leader of the club’s cleaver kids is Brenda Heck. They started talking about breaking cattle and the next meeting was at weigh in. Members weighed steers and had a meeting after. The calves ranged from 600 lbs. to 840 lbs. Their next meeting was on Dec. 13.

Complete story in December 15 edition of The Provost News.
Want to Subscribe to The Provost News? Click here.

Tanker Ban Called For
Complete story in December 15 edition of The Provost News.
Want to Subscribe to The Provost News? Click here.

Street Spokesman
This week we ask: "What’s Your Earliest Recollection of Christmas?"
. . . and we heard answers from Doris Large, Betsy Davies, Mildred Farrish and Eleanor Paulgaard. Check out the December 15 edition of The Provost News for their answers.
Want to Subscribe to The Provost News? Click here.

This, along with many other stories and pictures can be found in this week's edition of The Provost News.
Subscribe to the award winning paper by clicking on this link and following the instructions on our secure on-line ordering centre.
Take me to the Secure On-Line Ordering Centre

© The Provost News.
Reproduction or other use is prohibited without permission of The Provost News.